Hey welcome to episode 50 of Lighten Up with Melanie Dale. 50! We’ve made it to 50, guys, and I’m so excited that for the 50th episode I get to share my conversation with “Chewbacca Mom” Candace Payne with you. We’ve all seen her viral Facebook video wearing the Chewbacca mask, and it’s impossible not to laugh right along with her. We do a lot of laughing together on the show, and talk about her happy Chewbacca tattoo, her lofty goal before she turns 40 (hint: it involves Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”), being on the Late Late Show with James Corden, and her theories about The Last Jedi. We also chat about her faith journey, experiencing homelessness as a child, her new book, Laugh It Up, and how we can embrace defiant joy in the middle of hard times.
Today’s sponsor is b.a.r.e. soaps! Use LIGHTEN15 for 15% off. Also, they’re giving away a BARE Kindness Box to one lucky listener. To enter to win, leave a review of the show on iTunes this week.
Quotes from the show:
- “It’s not self-deprecation. It’s self-aware.”
- “No matter where you’re at, joy is available to you.”
Links from the show:
- Check out Candace’s new book, Laugh It Up!
- Defiant Joy: What Happens When You’re Full of It study guide and DVD
- Defiant Joy study guide
- Candace on the Late Late Show with James Corden
- Candace’s website
- Find Candace on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
How to Leave a Review:
If you enjoyed this conversation, would you jump over to iTunes and leave a quick review? This will help other people find the show. Now, I have to admit that I’m so technically challenged that I struggled to even figure out how to leave a review. You are smarter than I am, but just in case you, too, aren’t sure how to do that, here’s a quick tutorial on Leaving a Review on iTunes:
- Go to the Lighten Up iTunes preview page.
- Click “view in iTunes,” which will launch iTunes.
- Click the “ratings and reviews” tab. (You can also click the “subscribe” button while you’re there, heh heh.)
- Select a star rating, then write a quick review.
- It might take awhile for it to show up in iTunes, but please give yourself a hug from me.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.